Dream$avers is an Individual Development Account (IDA) serviced through NeighborWorks Umpqua. This matched savings program helps low-income eligible participants save money to buy a home, pursue higher education, and repair or modify an existing home. KLCAS first implemented the IDA program in 2011 and has since received approval for five IDA accounts servicing Klamath County. KLCAS continues to accept applications and is expanding this program to both Klamath and Lake Counties.
How the Program Works
For every $1.00 saved in an IDA, participants receive a corresponding match which serves as both a reward and an incentive to further the savings habit. Each IDA has the potential to triple or even quadruple your savings based upon eligibility.
Now imagine how fast a small monthly deposit will add up after your savings is tripled!
Approved Savings Goals Offered
Purchasing your first home: Savers under this category must be considered first-time homebuyers and can use the funds for any of the following purposes:
- Down payment
- Closing costs
- Required repairs by a lender
- Pre-paid items such as earnest money, hazard insurance, property taxes, etc.
- Negotiated construction/reconstruction items when acquiring a home
Home Repairs or Modifications: Savers do not need to have homes that qualify as real property, which means that both singlewide and doublewide manufactured homes and trailer homes in parks qualify under this program. Funds can be used for the following:
Pursuing a higher education or job training expenses: Savers under this category must plan to maintain residency in Oregon (or for minors who enroll, their household must maintain residency) both while they save and spend their funds. Funds can only be used for the following:
- Tuition and fees at an accredited education institution
- Supplies required for courses or instruction
- Equipment necessary to facilitate the duties of a student (i.e. computer, graphing calculator, materials required under a syllabus, etc.)
You may be eligible if you are:
- 16 years or older,
- An Oregon Resident,
- Income and net worth qualified, for requirements click here,
- Willing to save for one of the approved savings goals,
- Willing and able to save for a minimum of 6 months to 36 months,
- Can establish a required savings account, and deposit money each month towards your goal,
- Able to complete all required financial education classes, and
- Interested in learning how to better manage and save money.
For current income eligibility requirements contact KLCAS and the IDA coordinator.
Other Program Benefits
Join our program and change your life through:
- Determining savings goals while establishing a regular savings habit
- One-on-one personal budgeting assistance
- Assistance exploring college and vocational school options
- Participating in our Financial Fitness & Home Buying Classes
- Personal support and assistance from knowledgeable IDA program staff
For more information on Individual Development Accounts please view our IDA Brochure or contact:
Michelle J. Scott
Housing Counseling and Education Manager
(541) 882-3500 ext: *819
IDA Coordinator and Financial Coach
(541) 882-3500 ext.: *847